GRAND CYCLE TOKYO is a series of cycling-related events for
spreading a love for bicycles, the best form of transport for maintaining
a clean environment and a healthy body.
Join us on Wednesday, November 23, 2022 (a national holiday)
for the RAINBOW BRIDGE RIDE, a cycling event that takes riders
over the majestic Rainbow Bridge, and MULTISPORTS,
where participants can dive into a huge variety of exciting sports.
We can’t wait to see you there!
Description & Features
Take in the sights of some of Tokyo’s most famous landmarks
while riding along routes where bicycles are not normally permitted,
including over the Rainbow Bridge and through the
Tokyo Port Umi No Mori Tunnel.
Courses are available for a wide range of participants, from high-level amateurs and cycling enthusiasts to families and more.
priority entries (lottery)
July 1 (Fri) - August 18,
2022 (Thu) 11:59 PM
VIP entries (first-come, first-served)
Starts July 7, 2022 (Thu)
at 12:00 PM
Application has been closed.
Events will start sequentially from around 7:30 AM.
(*Start times are subject to change.)
& Participation Fees
- Participants can enter in the following categories: “General”, “Ward resident priority (Minato and Koto
wards)”, “VIP”, and “Family”.
- Family participants will receive a discount of 500 yen per person. (2 to 6 people can attend in each family.)
- One parent/guardian must accompany each elementary school student (grade 4+).
- Middle school students must have a parent or guardian’s consent to participate.
- VIPs (max. 100 participants) will receive a first-come, first-served guarantee of a place in the race, access to a VIP reception desk and VIP lounge for drinks and snacks, and VIP-only participation prizes.
- VIP entries will be accepted from 12:00 PM on Thursday, July 7, until the maximum number is reached.
- The fee for rental cycles is 1,500 yen. (Helmets are also available to rent.)
- Priority entry slots for those with experience as a volunteer for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games are available (limited to participants who have agreed to have volunteer information provided from the Tokyo Metropolitan Government). Eligible applicants will be notified by email at a later date.
* The Enjoy Umi No Mori Course does not travel on the Rainbow Bridge.
* A portion of the participation fee for VIP entries will be used for bicycle-related initiatives, etc. promoted by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government.
*Participants can take a break or drop off bikes at Umi no Mori.
Reference: List of slopes
in Tokyo (grade & distance)
*When going downhill, please be sure to slow down and ride with care.
Permitted Bicycle Types
*1 Rental cycles will be provided by the organizer. If you wish to rent a bike, please select the option when applying.
(Please note that there are a limited number of rental bikes, and recipients may be chosen by lottery.)
The following types of bikes are not permitted:
- Illegal bicycles
- Example: Electrically-assisted bicycles equipped with functions not defined in Japan (power providing speeds of 25km/h or more)
- Example: Electrically-assisted bicycles which move without the rider pedaling
- Recumbent bikes
- Track bikes (fixed gear)
- Bicycles with training wheels
- Mini velo bikes with tires less than 16 inches in diameter
- Tandem bikes
- Bikes that do not fall under the types that can be used on the corresponding course
The following types of handlebars are not permitted:
- Downhill handlebars
- Triathlon bars
- All similar add-on bars that can be attached to drop handlebars. Any other handlebars that prevent quick braking and are unsuitable for use on roads with steep grades.
- Any handlebars having shapes that prevent quick braking and are unsuitable for use on roads with steep grades are prohibited.
- Handlebars deemed unsafe for riding, including all add-on bars attached using attachment systems, are prohibited.
- Riders may be disqualified if the event organizer deems that their bicycles are in violation of regulations.
≪ NOTES ≫
- The purpose of the event is to have a fun ride, not to race competitively. Please put safety first, enjoy the ride, and help ensure the event runs smoothly.
- The courses include steep slopes, so please be sure to train well and be in appropriate physical condition.
- The organizer reserves the right to modify courses or cancel or suspend the event itself in the event of natural disasters such as earthquakes, wind and flood damage, and strong winds; weather conditions; incidents, accidents, infectious diseases; and any other hazards that may be anticipated.
- The Rainbow Bridge highway may be closed in the event of stormy weather.
- To ensure safety, control riders will be present in front of and behind the participants for guidance. Overtaking of control riders while riding is prohibited.
- Stopping to take pictures is not allowed on courses (public roads and highways).
- Cameras secured to the bicycle itself or the helmet and which can be used safely are permitted.
- Taking pictures/video while riding one-handed is prohibited.
- All participants must wear a helmet.
- Participants are solely responsible for any accidents, injuries (including death), loss, or damage to property resulting from their participation in the event, except in cases of willful misconduct or gross negligence on the part of the organizer.
- A separate fee for COVID-19 testing may be required.
- Courses include tight U-turns. Clip-in shoes may cause riders to fall over. Please be careful.
Apply through Sports Entry!
*Please check Sports Entry for entry information.
*Applications for the event are managed by Sports Entry.
Application has been closed.
Enjoy thrilling races and demonstrations by top-level athletes,
and try riding a wide range of different bicycles yourself!
Around 30 different types of sports will be available at multiple venues
on the waterfront, including urban sports and digital content.
November 23, 2022
Watch thrilling races and demonstrations by top-level athletes.
Visitors can also try riding a wide range of bicycles,
including racing wheelchairs and more!
- ① Central Square
- ② Sea Forest
- ③ Aomi NOP Areas
Around 30 different types of sports will be available to try, including urban sports and digital content.
Cyber Boccia S
- ④ Ariake Garden
- ⑤ Stone & Light Plaza
- ⑥ Sea Forest
Event details will be announced
as they become available.
Check back soon!